Thursday, August 29, 2013

Inside My Closet: Nailene SensatioNail At-Home Gel Polish Kit Review

Once in a blue moon, I run across a beauty product that I'm passionate about.  It has to save both time AND money.  It must be easy to use AND work as it should.  This is exceedingly true of SensatioNail.  I find the application process simple to understand and easy to execute on my own.  While there is no substitute to the pampering you receive at a high-end salon, doing your nails at home can be equally relaxing.  You don't have to inhale the fumes from every other patron's professional job and you can forgo the guilt of wanting to catch up with your bestie on the phone while you're soaking and drying.  You can just lounge in your PJs, turn on your favorite movie, and get beautiful nails at home.  PLUS, the money you save makes a little effort worthwhile.

I first discovered these kits walking around my local Walmart. Then, there were only a handful of colors available and I was a bit hesitant after having a bad experience with an "instant" version of "gel" polish a few months before.  (I can't find the brand now since it was immediately trashed, but it was B-A-D.)  I decided to give this a shot because it looked MUCH more legit.  Oh my gee!  I was sooo right!

{FACTS AND FIGURES}
Manufacturer: Nailene
Website: http://www.sensationailgel.com
Cost: $4.14 (tools and supplies) - $49.98 (full starter kit)
US Vendors: CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, Target, Drugstore.com
International Vendors: ASDA Direct, Boots, Gordons Direct, TESCO

{HOW IT WORKS}
The starter kit goes for $49.98 on Walmart.com and can comes with either red, raspberry, pink or french manicure (from the various online retailers.)  It contains gel cleanser, gel primer, color gel polish, gel base and top coat, a double-sided nail buffer, lint-free wipes, a manicure stick, and an LED lamp.  There are individual polishes (approximately $10) sold in various colors and an "essentials kit" (approximately $20 - $25) that will replenish all of the other components in the starter kit (note: the essentials kit does NOT include the lamp.)

There are great tutorials on their website as well as illustrated instructions in the kit, but the general instructions are simple.  After filing your nails and pushing back your cuticles, you cleanse your nails and paint a layer of the primer on each.  You'll apply one layer of base/top coat, two layers of color, and one additional layer of base/top coat with a 30 - 60 second session in the LED lamp between coats.  You'll use the cleanser a second time to remove the residue and... VOILA!  You have a perfect manicure that will last at least two weeks.

To remove the polish, there is a removal kit and instructions.  However, you can use cotton balls, aluminum foil, and acetone just the same at a slightly lesser cost.

I'll post instructions for application and removal later.  After over a year of using this product, I have a few tricks of the trade that might just help you get a better result.  ;)

{RESULTS}

Pros:
I usually have to remove the polish because my nails have grown out long before I have to remove it due to wear and tear.  The polish lasts well past two weeks without chipping and that's after washing bottles by hand, working in a grocery store where I'm constantly doing some kind of manual labor (bagging, cleaning, or sorting money), and taking care of our newborn baby 24/7.  I have had people mistake the french manicure for acrylics (sweet!) and they do not lose their shine until the second you start to remove them.  In fact, the polish is so solid that I have not had a broken nail in about a year.

My nails after 2 WEEKS of wear. :)


Cons:
You're committed.  Unless you want to take the time (about 15 to 30 minutes from start to finish) to remove your polish, you're locked into your color.  Honestly, I see no reason to remove the polish unless you just HATE the color, but you'll want to choose wisely.  I tend to stay with the classic colors for that reason, but I occasionally venture into trendier hues.

{YEA OR NAY?}

Yea all the way.  I'm consistently pleased with the outcome of each manicure I do with this kit.  The colors are beautiful and they have a fair balance of trendy and classic. They even have magnetics and metallics!  So long as this company continues to produce the same quality product and keep up with the latest fashions, I expect I'll be continue to be a repeat customer.

No comments:

Post a Comment