Thursday, August 29, 2013

Another Man's Trash is... a Smelly Cat Trap


I have a confession to make...
I am addicted to thrifting.  

It's especially bad if there are negotiations involved.  Thus, I'm a sucker for yard sales and "Half Off Saturday" at Goodwill is a must-do (more on that in a few weeks).

Cindy, my friend since elementary school, and I went yard sale-ing.  Our first stop was an indoor moving sale just one street away from me. First, let me say that I kinda HATE indoor yard sales. You can't do the drive-by how-crappy-is-your-crap scan.  It also always feels like I'm intruding and a little trapped.

Walking up to the house, I had hope.  It was well-landscaped and cared for.  I always question the quality of what's inside if the house is falling apart or the front yard is covered in children's toys.  However, inside did not match the outside.  The first thing we were hit with was B.O. and cat smells.  OMG... nothing worse than that combo.  PLUS, it was hot inside.  EWWWWWWW!!!

I did manage to spot a sweet necklace among the putrid smell of cat urine and over-priced furniture. Listen, asking $2 for a necklace at a yard sale seems a bit much to me, so I decided $1 was fair.  After all, your prices at yard sales should be a starting point.  If you're really set on the price of, say, a lawn mower or bedroom set, just post "FIRM" next to it.  I can respect that, but small items should always be flexible to allow for bundles. After accepting my offer, she tried to guilt trip me into paying more because it was a "really nice necklace."  I mean, "it cost $35." Sorry, sweetie.  Negotiations don't work like that. Plus, she revealed that she received it as a hostess gift for free.  Oye.


We made our way to several dud yard sales, but shopping with a good friend is never really a dud. You get to laugh at some of the ridiculous things people once had in their home and enjoy the fresh air.  She collected some doilies for a table runner project and some high-end baby clothes for a friend.  I found a little over a yard of fabric that will make some cute pillows or curtains ($2) and three adorbs shepherd's hooks with green pots which will serve as a perfect addition to my back patio with citronella candles or sweet little flowers ($2).


Then, she wanted to go to one in a questionable area of town that we just happened to pass by.   Another indoor yard sale?!  Come on, people! And why do all the indoor yard sales smell like cats?! Well, we got there just after someone made off with all the really nice furniture and lamps.  Cindy found some very cute Beatrix Potter tins for her future nursery and I decided to start planning my Christmas decorations by purchasing a Santa Claus coat rack for my entry way ($2).  Now, I can't wait to get it up and do some over-the-top vintage decorations for Christmas this year.


So, all in all, I had a lovely time with a lovely lady, spent only $7 and walked away with some super cute items.

What pet peeves do have about thrifting/yard sale-ing?  Share your experiences in the comments below.

Until next time...         

No comments:

Post a Comment